Skip to content ↓

South Dartmoor
Community College

School Closure Thursday 1st March

Dear Parent/Carer,

In consultation with the Chair of Governors and Rachel Shaw (CEO, South Dartmoor Multi Academy Trust) I have made the difficult but correct decision to close the school today (Thursday 1st March).  This decision has not been taken lightly and has been delayed until I had the most up-to-date and reliable information to hand, including onsite staff reporting throughout the night and in the early hours of this morning (recognition must also be given to the countless staff who have enabled this to happen).  Over the last 24 hours I have endeavoured to keep all our community up-to-date via our website and successfully kept the school open yesterday.  However the safety of our staff, students and community is paramount and addressing the issue of the Met Office amber weather warning at 12:00 today.  If this forecast is correct it would ultimately mean that we have a near capacity school in the morning followed by a full Severe Weather Evacuation a few hours later for staff and students with all the associated risks and a significant numbers of staff and students needing to access and entering the transport system at a potentially challenging time.

I will continue to carefully monitor the weather conditions over the next 12 hours with the intention of re-opening the College on Friday 2nd March but will also act on any advice provided regarding the extent and impact of the severe weather today.  A final decision made either this evening or a similar time on Friday (2nd March).

Staff will ensure all work from today’s lessons is published and accessible via Show My Homework.

I sincerely apologise for the disruption to learning this has caused but hope you appreciate such circumstances are beyond our control.

Yours faithfully,

Paul Collins